To find a reliable expert who will help you with the task of epoxy flooring can be pretty difficult. There are several fraudsters out there in the market who is waiting to exploit your ignorance. You need to work with the right company so that you do not regret the decision later. Here are some tips that will help you hire the right epoxy floor coating service.
Do Your Research
If you hire a contractor for any reason, you should need to do a proper research. It is important to ensure that the contractor that you are hiring for epoxy flooring is qualified enough to do the job. In fact, the service should have the required experience to do the work in an efficacious manner. You can talk to your family members and friends and ask them about the epoxy flooring contractor that they have worked with. You can also check online forums and websites for reviews to find out about various contractors and the kind of services that they offer.
Once you have shortlisted the names of the prospective services, the following step is to have a face-to-face meeting. This way you will be able to get to know the contractors and seek some important information about the service. Do not forget to enquire about the number of years that the contractor has been in business. Moreover, ask about the insurance that is offered by the epoxy floor coating service. There are different kinds of insurance which are essential for these situations that include personal liability, worker’s compensation, and property damage.
Review the Contract
Even though it might not be mandatory to get a handwritten agreement, it is always a good idea. It contains the details of the deal that you made with the contractor. This agreement should have the name of the contractor, his/her address, and also information on the warranty. Make sure that you review the paperwork carefully. Be sure of the terms that you are agreeing to.
Epoxy Flooring Mistakes to Avoid
If you are unsure about hiring an epoxy floor coating service and want to do it on your own then here are some mistakes that you need to avoid.
- A majority of the epoxies has to be mixed before the application since it a two-component product. If you do not mix it properly then the epoxy might harden too quickly or too slowly. At times, it might not harden at all. Read the instructions before mixing the epoxy. Mix the components correctly in the ratio prescribed by the company. Do not mix wrong ratios and expect a good result.
- There is a wide range of epoxy products which can be used as structural filters, coatings, paint, and bonding agents. Make sure that you choose the right product for the work since they are not interchangeable. If you do not know which the right product for the job is then you should talk to the manufacturers or professionals.
- When you work with epoxy flooring, it is important to consider the temperature. A majority of the epoxies have a temperature range for application.
- It is also important to store the epoxy adequately. If you are not using them then make sure that you store them in a warm place. It can crystallize with fluctuations in the temperature.
- Prepare the surface before applying the epoxy. It has to be clean, dry, and free of oil dirt or grease. You can scuff the surface by grinding or sanding the surface. This can help the epoxy to bond better with the surface as the compound will get better grip on the surface.
Epoxy flooring is a difficult task and hiring an expert is always better. Every brand has its own characteristics which only experts will be aware of. They learn from experience and they would know the right tricks to manage crucial factors like brining the temperature of the floor to the prescribed range, thickness of the coating required for a strong and durable finish. They will be able to complete even big flooring works in a short period of time.