Fireplace plays a major role in any house by creating warmth and comfortable environment. However, a fireplace is incomplete without a suitable mantel. If you’ve a fireplace at your home, you know how significant mantel is to complement your fireplace. Fireplace mantels are required to maintain your surroundings safe and clean. In addition, mantel adds to the overall beauty of your fireplace; since fireplace acts as a focal point of any home, mantel enhances the look of focal point.
Mantels offer several benefits; they maintain cleanliness by covering debris and dirt reduces the chances of accidents, useful for storing fireplace equipment, and moreover, mantels are used for decoration purpose, they enhance the elegance and visual appeal. However, to avail all these benefits, you need to be careful when choosing fireplace mantels. You do not want it to be too large and be distasteful in design. However, you do not want it to be too tiny and fully swamped by your significantly large fireplace. So, here are some of the important things you need to consider before choosing mantels for your fireplace.
Factors To Consider When Buying Fire Mantels
- Size: Often, most people fail to measure fireplace prior to purchasing mantel. Fireplaces come in variety of different heights and widths. While few people estimate the size just by looking at it, most of us doesn’t have that gift. To be on safer side, measure the fireplace accurately, including dimension of the hearth. This will help you focus on fireplace mantels that are perfect for your fireplace.
- Design: After deciding on size of the mantel you’re going to purchase, you need to consider the design. The main goal is to choose the mantel design that complements fireplace. If you’ve large fireplace, bulky wooden mantels will work well. However, if your fireplace is small, then it is better go with demure mantels. All in all, fireplace mantels should match with the rest of your home décor.
- Type: There are different types of mantels available. Each type has its own pros and cons. Some of the most common mantels include wood, stone, brick, and metal. While it is good to have general idea about which type of mantels you want to buy, make sure you’re open to new possibilities. Overall, consider your needs and go for the mantel that will enhance what you have going on.
Different Types of Fireplace Mantels
- Wood: Wood is most widely used material for fireplace mantels because builders can work with wood easily. Various styles, shapes, and designs can be carved using wood. Wooden mantels can match any home décor, as it is available in different colors and finishes.
- Brick: Any part of the mantel can be created easily using bricks. Brick mantels are simple and give natural look. You can give mantels the kind of appearance you want using different brick types and colors. Brick mantels may need additional support as they are bit heavy.
- Tile: Like any other materials, tiles are also available in a wide range of colors, textures, and styles. If you want to give modern look to your tile mantel, avoid adding shelves.
- Stone: Stones are also a great option for fireplace mantels. Stones include granite, marble, and limestone. You can create decorative mantels using different coloring and texture options. Stone mantels are simple yet functional. They give sophisticated look to your home. Granite and marble mantels are known for durability.
- Metal: Metal is the most versatile choice for mantels, it will give both modern and traditional look. You can create either simple look or detailed design using metal. No matter what your home décor is, there is a metal mantel available to match it.
Hence, you may consider these factors while buying fireplace mantels.