The ancient method of applying plasters on the wall, which was previously known as stuccoed surface coating, is now known as the Venetian Plaster. It is also at times referred to as a lime plaster due to the putty that is made from marble dust, fired limestone and water. The surface develops a marble-like finish due to the burnishing after application.
The primary difference between other plasters and Venetian plaster is that there are no additional aggregates that are added to the latter kind of plaster. Several home developers prefer this because of the soft and earthy look that it provides. The application is done in layers that are translucent and gives a finish that is iridescent with the appearance of movement and depth.
The Different Benefits Of Venetian Plaster
The five major benefits of applying a Venetian plaster wall finish are:
- There are different types of finishes that the plaster can provide after it has been experimented with. This finish completely depends on the manner in which it has been prepared and the skill of the person or group. The correct application of it can either create a marble-like look, highly polished texture or rock-hard finish. In those panels such as curved walls, columns, and corbels, where it is very difficult to install marble, it is an excellent alternative and replacement.
- They can either be colored using synthetic or natural colorants or tinted as per the desired aesthetics. This tinting feature is very helpful when trying to achieve a specific marble color or any other color that you don’t even know the name of.
- Being a versatile wall treatment, its application can be done on different types of places such as pre-existing or new interior walls, ceiling, drywall, tile, wood, exterior wood, cement board, brick wall surface, etc. Additionally, it is very easy to apply to complex wall conditions such as archways and columns.
- Apart from being versatile, Venetian plaster is also exceptionally durable due to its rock-like solidity after it becomes dry. It can resist any kind of crack formation or shrink due to high volume of impacts that it can withstand.
- It is extremely low maintenance and any kind of imperfection can be patched very easily and without much effort. It does not require a paint job due to different kinds of pre-mixed ingredients and pigments that is very long-lasting. It does not take much effort to clean the walls, as it wets and also dries very fast due to quick evaporation. Along with this, the plaster avoids the formation or tapping of moisture under its surface.
Range Of Difficulty While Working With Venetian Plasters
Skilled craftsmanship can provide the surface of the Venetian plasters the effect that it is popular for. Previously, this work was done by manual labor, but now new products and machines have developed to make this process much easier and faster. Some DIY type of people may also choose to do this work on their own due to the easy accessibility and simple use of the products. These plasters and products can be easily found in your nearby paint stores and home centers. The Venetian plaster is often sold in cans with different ranges of gallons. You can buy the one as per your project requirements.
It is important to remember that the skills that are required to simply paint a wall are very different from applying Venetian plaster. Practicing this technique and a little bit of experience are the two things that can help in improving this skill. Amateurs often start their training sessions by practicing on drywalls. However, hiring a professional will ensure that the work is done efficiently, safely and without any kind of wastage. This is the best solution because getting help from professionals is the best way to conduct any kind of plastering work.