There are three conditions when your drains have high chances of being blocked. First is, when you have kids at home, who may throw in things inside the drain, or forcefully pass things down the drain out of ignorance or for mischief. Another situation is, when you have seniors at home who doesn’t see or realize well the things they are flushing in the drain. Finally, when you are ignorant about healthy flushing practices and flush down inappropriate content through the drain. To avoid drain clogging at home, you should self-educate yourself, and educate other members at home and office so that the drains do not receive content and waste which will block them.
Preventing drain blockage is much better than to run hither and thither in confusion and harassment, when your drains are blocked and you have wastewater flooding and reversing in your kitchens, washbasins, and toilets.
- Hair: Human hair is one of the common drain clogging objects in every household. You shed a little body hair every day. Some people shave off their hair in the bathroom and that is accumulated near the drain mouth. Also, small bits of hair accumulate gradually over time to form a big lump of hair and these can obstruct the drain badly. You should periodically remove hair clumps from drain mouths and keep the hole clean. When you have to flush off hair through drain, take care that all the hair is flushed out with force of water, no water comes back in and you pour in enough water for the clump to flush out completely.
- Plants: Leaves, twigs, grasses, shrubs, dry flowers, etc. can clog drains severely. To eliminate the chances, you must keep the piles of leaves and grasses away from the drain mouth. If the drain mouth is jammed once by the garden or lawn waste, soils, etc., then you will have a bad experience with the drain.
- Roots: Roots of trees may grow inside the drain by penetrating the pipe walls wherever they find it weak. It happens when roots search moisture and the fluid passing through drains is rich in food and moisture for the trees to grow well. The barring by roots invites in accumulation of many other small and medium solid wastes flushed through the drain. Thus, resulting in bad and big blocks. To eliminate the chances of such blockage, you must keep off big trees from growing near the drain pipes, and you must keep your garden shrubs and trees well watered.
- Fat and Grease: Linings of grease and fat build up inside pipes of drains in kitchen sinks. When you have such fat buildup then over time, the passage of the drain pipe in kitchen sinks may get too narrow, and partially blocked. The result will be slow passage of water and occasional pooling of the water. To avoid the chances, you must clean the kitchen drains once a month using fat dissolving solvents. Boiling water when poured down the drain dissolves fat to some extent, and carries it off the pipes and opening the blockage.
- Wipes and Diapers: Baby wipes, disposable nappies, and diapers are the gift of modern technology and urban practices. However, handling them as waste needs the understanding of eco-friendly healthy procedures. It’s not at all safe to flush them through the toilet. It is a sure way to block the drains. Such waste should compulsorily be treated as solid waste, which has to be disposed of in garbage and not through drains.
Besides these, other foreign objects, and items may clog drains due to heavy storm and rains, floods, children playing around, and unhealthy practices, etc. Moreover, you must use a good net over the drain mouth to avoid such blocks as much as possible. So, these are the major points that matter in the prevent drain blockage by avoiding inappropriate flush outs.